The major role of DIRCs was to intervene in the resolving of conflicts in the districts of Jaffna, Vavuniya, Batticaloa, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Puttalam, Kurunegala, Badulla, Moneragala, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Ratnapura, Hambantota, Matara, Galle and Kalutara due to inter ethnic and inter religious unrest and to build reconciliation at grass root level.
The resolution was presented with the view to eventually forwarding the issues identified by DIRCs and recommendations for solving them to responsible national level institutions.
- Recommendation 1: Develop school education reforms and implement them for building reconciliation.
- Recommendation 2: Reform Sunday School education for developing reconciliation, co-existence and attitudes.
- Recommendation 3: Take steps to heal the minds of victims affected by the war.
- Recommendation 4: Develop a national media policy for building national reconciliation.
- Recommendation 5: Strengthen the national reconciliation programme of the government.
- Recommendation 6: Social protection and multi-cultural promotion and building a humanitarian society.